Er R L Raju obtained B.E (Hons) (Civil) from Madras University in 1947. After obtaining graduation, he joined the Staff of the same College and continued till December 1949, after that he got appointment as Assistant Engineer in the Irrigation Department, Govt. of Madras. Er R L Raju worked in various organizations and rose to the position of Chief Engineer, Irrigation Department.
In 1956, he was elevated to the post of Executive Engineer in Nagarjunasagar Project to investigate and execute N S Right Canal. He executed departmentally the 100 feet high Buggavagu earth dam as no contractor come forward and could save as much as Rs. 80 lakhs of public money. In the year 1960 he was posted as Deputy Chief Engineer for N S Right Canal. During the year 1964, and then he was promoted as Superintending Engineer in Godavari Valley Circle to execute Pochampad Project. In the year 1967, he was shifted to Nagarjunasagar Left Canal at Khammam to take up the canal works below Munagola Village. In 1969, then he was shifted to Godavari Barrage Designs Circle in Chief Engineer’s Office at Errum Manzil. When he saw the Godavari Barrage Projects estimates, he found that the proposed project estimates provided for the construction of new independent structure some 120’ upstream of the existing anicut which was proposed to be dismantled. At his suggestion, the line of the new barrage was brought closer to the anicut and retaining the anicut as supporting downstream protection dismantling only the shutters and the crest wall of the anicut accordingly the project design was revised effecting considerable savings.
From Godavari Barrage Circle, he was moved to Vijayawada Irrigation Circle and he was promoted as Chief Engineer in 1974 and posted to Srisailam Hydro electric project.
He retired from the service as Chief Engineer, Irrigation and CAD Department in the year 1978.
The first Endowment Lecture was instituted on 14th October, 2015